The BGSA supports Black graduate students in their academic pursuits and social acclimation to the various environments on the Rice University campus. The BGSA is also committed to the pursuit of national and local social awareness that amplifies voices and experiences of Black students on Rice campus. We provide a safe space for exchange of intellectual ideas and social issues that impact Black communities, on and off Rice campus. Our programs and partnerships facilitate cultural understanding, allyship, and an appreciation for equity, diversity, and inclusion among members and friends of the BGSA.
The purpose of the BGSA is:
- To provide a professional and supportive social network for Black graduate students to ensure the retention, continued academic excellence, and psychological support of said students at Rice University
- To provide a safe environment for Black graduate students to voice their concerns
- To strengthen liaisons with administrators, faculty, other student organizations, and the community at large
- To assist Rice University in recruiting qualified Black students from racial groups that are underrepresented in academia
- To spread awareness of local and national events impacting Black people to the larger Rice University community